Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Review of City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.


When I first saw this book, it was about two years ago on an ad for Cassie Clare on FB.  It said, "Read City of Bones for Free!"  I was like... Free book!!  Why not?!? So, I clicked on it, and it took me to her website.  Sure enough, the book was available via PDF on the site!  So, I started reading... and reading!  When I actually printed one whole chapter off to take home, I knew I had to buy it!!  

So, this is a re-read for me.  My cousin and I decided to have this be the next series for our book club, and again... I love this book!  It starts out with Clarissa Fray going to a club with her best friend Simon.  While there, she sees a girl go into a back room with a boy, who is followed by two more.  She rushes in, sees them attacking the boy and tries to stop them.  They are all surprised, because they can't understand why she can see them; as normal humans can't see them at all.  This is her first experience with Shadowhunters.  

And Jace...

It is after this, she is shown a world that normal people can't see.  She's confused, because she's seeing things that even Simon can't see and she can't understand why.  After she is attacked by a demon, Jace takes her to the Institute to get healed.  While there, she finds out that her mother, who is missing, was a shadowhunter and she herself is a shadowhunter.  She's also finding herself drawn to Jace and she doesn't know why.  He's sarcastic, obnoxious towards Simon, and too honest at times, but she sees there is more to him.  There is a vulnerability to him that he only shows to her.  For all of Jace's toughness, he is incredibly sweet to her when no one is there to see it.  He doesn't want to be seen as weak by anyone, so makes sure to keep feelings to himself.  

I love Jace!  Have loved from his first contact with Clary.  He's rough around the edges, but he's actually a very nice kid.  He's tough, but there is a softness to him when Clary is around.  You know that he would protect her to the death if he had to.  

I did not like Simon.  I found him to be annoying.  I love that he's always there to support Clary, but there are times he's a whiner.  You know what his feelings for Clary are, and you know why he's so hostile towards Jace.  She likes Jace, the way she should like Simon.  

You also meet Isabelle and Alec, who are brother and sister.  They're parents are helping to run the institute with Hodge who was exiled there for helping Valentine.  Once it is known that Valentine is still alive, after being thought dead, they find out he wants The Mortal Cup.  Something that is used to asisst in making other Shadowhunters.  Alec for reasons of his own is very angry at Clary, and makes it known pretty fast that he doesn't want her around.  Isabelle is a free spirit, who I think, likes having Clary around.  They don't become fast friends, but they do become friends eventually.  It just takes a bit of time.  

Once they retrieve the Cup, they are decieved by someone close to them.  Jace is taken by Valentine, and Clary knows she has to go after him.  After joining forces with Luke, and his werewolf pack, they set off to find Valentine and Jace.  They do find him, but they also find her mother who is asleep.  The ending of this book was shocking, but it was great!!  I was like... Wha???  The action starts about two chapters until the end and doesn't stop until the end of the book!  

I loved this book so much, that I read it in less then a week!  I could not put it down, because I had to know what happened with Jace and if he was ok!  

I've now started City of Ashes, and I'm hooked on that one as well.  I have to know what happens with them!! God, I love this series!!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Bakin' up Blogs Design Copyright © 2011 The Blog Bakery