Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Review of Playing Hookey by Rita Webb!!


SYNOPSIS
Valentine’s Day.

And my 21st birthday.

Whoop-de-doo.

Just another college day full of classes and more homework than is humanly possible.

…until Jason, my best-friend-since-kindergarten, shows up to take me out for the day.

Like old times: the two of us go on a wacky adventure, playing hooky from real life. With his lopsided grin and tickets to a circus full of misfits and monsters, he introduces me to a whole new world—one full of magic and mystery—and turns my reality upside down.

Except nothing goes as planned, and we end up running through the city to find a missing siren before someone brews a love potion with her blood.

Sirens and love potions, witches and elves, and Valentine kisses. Nothing will be the same for me again.


LINKS:
AMAZON
B&N
GOODREADS

THE REVIEW

My only complaint about this book was that it was so short!!  I read this in one... YES ONE! day.  

I could not stop reading, because I had to see what Emma and Jason would encounter next!!

It is Emma's birthday, and her best friend Jason has come to spend the day giving her an adventure.  What she doesn't know is what is going to happen.  When Jason shows her a circus with magical creatures, Emma at first doesn't believe her eyes. Creatures she only believed were fantasy!  

When they realize that the Siren has been kidnapped, it sets in motion a chain of events that Emma was not expecting.  Jason is not who he seems, and someone out there wants to create a love spell that has consequences.  

Jason and Emma go on the hunt for the kidnapped Siren, and to get her back before she's found missing.  There are shocks in store for Emma and she is forced to come to terms with some hard reality.  

Then there is Jason!  I really liked him, but there is some mystery regarding him.  He is not human, but that's about all we know.  Also, that he is feared by a lot of people.  He loves Emma completely, and feels that it is time to show her the truth about his world.  Emma is a tough girl, who doesn't hold back a punch if it's needed.  She's known Jason all her life, and doesn't let him get away with much.  They are perfect for each other, but the friendship is too dear to her to risk.  

I do wish it had been longer, but it was a great read!!  I really enjoyed it!!  

~~~~~~~~~~~

THE AUTHOR
AUTHOR BIO
Leaving the house to go to school, I had schoolbooks spilling out of one hand, the other holding my place in a Nancy Drew novel, and bunny slippers still on my feet. My mom was a wee bit upset.

I haven't changed much. Still always have a book (or two) in my hand or creating stories in my head, and although I don't have any bunny slippers, I love writing in my jammies and snuggly slipper socks.

When I grow up (maybe a hundred years from now), I'd like to be a superhero, but for now, saving the day, one page at a time, suits me just fine.

With my husband TJ (my own cuddly werewolf), I home-school our three girls, who keep us busy with art, science projects, books to read, dance classes, and walks about the park. 


LINKS:
BLOG
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
GOODREADS

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Bakin' up Blogs Design Copyright © 2011 The Blog Bakery