Thursday, March 21, 2013

Guest Post and Review of Imitation by Heather Hildenbrand!!


Book Description:
Everyone is exactly like me. 
There is no one like me. 
The rough fabric of my cotton nightgown chafes so I lie very still. They say my discomfort comes from being built like one accustomed to niceties. How is that fair when I myself have never experienced anything but copies of the real thing? 
My entire life is an imitation. 
I am an Imitation. 
I’ve been here five years. Training. Preparing. Waiting.
And now I have a letter.
My assignment has begun. 
I am a prisoner.
I am not Raven Rogen.
I am here to die.

THE GUEST POST!!

I only in the past year or so read my first dystopian novel and while I loved it, it wasn’t something I knew much about before. Now, with Imitation’s release and all of the discussions I’ve had with readers, I am finding more and more of you feel the same. Either you’ve read very little of the genre or you aren’t clear on what the genre even is. So, I thought I’d do a quick lesson on “dystopian” and enlighten us all.

From Wikipedia: A dystopia is a community or society, usually fictional, that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. It is the opposite of a utopia. Such societies appear in many works of fiction, particularly in stories set in a speculative future. Dystopias are often characterized by dehumanization, totalitarian governments, environmental disaster, or other characteristics associated with a cataclysmic decline in society. Elements of dystopias may vary from environmental to political and social issues. 

Okay, so that’s the low-down on the definition of the word. Now, let’s talk about my top 3 favorites! My top favorite—and one you may have heard of by now—is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. 


Both the book and the movie were amazing and it’s a very cool dystopian concept. And by “cool” I mean not something I would ever want to be real. But it makes for a great story. Also, I heart Peeta.
Second favorite is Divergent by Veronica Roth. 



Oh, WOW, this is such a good series! The world-building is spectacular and just like Hunger Games, you find yourself wondering if it could actually happen. I love that! And… I heart Four. #Lovemybookboyfriends
Third favorite is the movie, The Island, (as far as I know it is not based on a book) with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson. Awesome clone movie and definitely makes you think “what if…” It was some of my inspiration for Imitation because it too portrays clones as “replacement parts” for their hosts. If you’ve never seen it, you should definitely check it out! 



THE REVIEW!! 

First let me say, I was honored when Heather asked me to read her book and be a part of the tour!!

The only thing I didn't like about it... well, there are two things... that it ended to quickly, and that I wished it was longer so I could get more Linc!  (I'll get more into him later!)

This story is about Ven, who is an Imitation.  She is man-made, but not born like regular humans.  Her job is to one day replace her Authentic (human), and live her life.  When the time comes for that to happen, she's heartbroken to leave her two best friends behind.

The life she's supposed to take over is one she realizes isn't one she was expecting.  The girl she's replacing is named Raven Rogen, and from the way everyone is treating her, this girl isn't very nice.  She comes from a very rich background, and her father Titus soon reveals how evil he is.  She believes there are people out to harm the real Raven and she is the bait for them to come out in the open.

While she's preparing for her role as Raven, she meets Linc.  He's her bodyguard  and he's hot!!  She's drawn to him, and she doesn't know why.  Soon, she finds herself depending on him, and searching him out. She doesn't feel safe unless he is there somewhere with her.

After a brutal attack, that almost takes her life, Ven discovers the attackers are not after Raven... but her!  Titus doesn't take this information very well, but doesn't know if she's telling the truth or not.  Titus scared me.  He really did!  Just because he was so unpredictable.  He would be sweet as pie one minute, and then in the next breath be violent towards Ven.  He always made it known she was nothing but a product and would be terminated if she didn't behave like Raven.

Soon after starting her life as Raven, she meets Daniel.  She distrusts him almost instantly, and he soon gives her a reason why.  He has an agenda of his own, and makes it clear to her that he knows just what she is.  Through this knowledge Ven meets a girl, and she has her own reasons to be scared of her.  She finds out there are more Imitations out there, and also that Titus has his own plans for them once they are found.  She reconnects with another Imatiation who she knew at Twig City; the place where she was created.

Then there is Linc... she's leary of him at first... as he is unsure of her.  He knows there is something different about Raven, but can't quite put his finger on it.  When he breaks up a horrible attack from Daniel against Ven, his true feelings for her come to light.  She is afraid of her feelings at first, but soon realizes he is there for her no matter what. Together they go and find the answers they are looking for.

I am so happy Heather asked me to read this book for her!!  It was amazing.. and had me guessing pretty much through the whole thing!  I have to know what happens to Titus in the next book, because he is so evil and so horrible to her, that I need to know if he gets what deserves to come to him!  I loved how Ven was able to turn Raven into someone good, when before it was clear she was so selfish and self-centered.  She gave a girl who clearly had no character at all, some amazing character in the end.  Ven was something who was complicated, but she cared about people and what they were going through.

Thank you so much Heather for inviting me to read this!!!  I can not wait until the second book!!!

~~~~~~~~~

About This Author:

Author of Across the Galaxy, Whisper, and the Dirty Blood series. I write, read, and fuss at my kids. Oh, and I do laundry, lots of laundry. I'm pretty good at it, too. Sometimes I even read WHILE doing laundry - and fussing at my kids. I'm a multi-tasker.

For more information on my books, release dates, or just general stalker material, um, I mean FAN material, visit my website. www.heatherhildenbrand.blogspot.com. I love hearing from readers!

Likes and dislikes? I love vintage tees, hate socks with sandals, and if my house was on fire the one thing I'd grab is my DVR player!





Author Links:

Book Links:


2 comments:

Heather Hildenbrand said...

Thanks for having me jess!! So glad you liked it!

Jess's Journal said...

It was no problem!! Thanks so much for asking me to read it!! You are welcome back anytime! I can't wait to read the next one!!

Post a Comment

 

A Bakin' up Blogs Design Copyright © 2011 The Blog Bakery